In the heart of historic downtown LaGrange, Georgia sits the square and fountain named after American Revolutionary War hero and French aristocrat and military officer, Marquis de Lafayette.
The beautiful, circular fountain is a favorite place amongst locals to sit and relax, walk around, take photographs and enjoy the scenery and gorgeous downtown LaGrange.
This statue of Lafayette is an exact copy of the original by Ernest-Eugene Hiolle (1834-1886) that stands in Le Puy, Auvergne, France. It was cast by American sculptor Harry Jackson at his Wyoming Foundry Studies, Camaiore, Italy, in 1974.
Permission to cast the statue was granted by May Celestin Quincieu and the City Council of Le Puy. It is the property of LaGrange College, on permanent loan to the city of LaGrange.